Home News Local News 10 Things to Know for Friday, Feb. 28
10 Things to Know for Friday, Feb. 28
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. RUSSIA UPS ITS INVOLVEMENT IN UKRAINE TURMOIL
Ukraine's parliament calls for the U.N. Security Council to meet on the nation's ongoing crisis as Russian military blocks an airport in Crimea.
2. WHO'S PLANNING A COMEBACK IN AFGHANISTAN
U.S. officials say Al-Qaida's leader in Afghanistan is laying the groundwork to relaunch his shattered organization once international forces withdraw.
3. A MAJOR U.S. NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP IS SHUTTERED
Back-to-back accidents and an above-ground radiation release has shut down the federal government's only deep underground nuclear waste dump indefinitely, raising disposal questions.
4. TEA PARTY VOWS TO KEEP FIGHTING
Republican primaries this election year will be a crucial test for the movement as the GOP establishment aggressively challenges tea-party backed candidates.
5. WHY RESERVATIONS FOR SUNNY VACATIONS ARE ON THE RISE
Winter-weary Americans are flocking to warm destinations to escape the endless winter.
6. OBAMA KICKS OFF 'MY BROTHER'S' KEEPER' INITIATIVE
The president calls for vigorous efforts to reverse underachievement among young black and Hispanic males.
7. U.S. MARONITE CHURCH ORDAINS MARRIED PRIEST
Pope Francis gave permission for the ceremony at St. Raymond's Cathedral near downtown St. Louis.
8. EVACUATIONS ORDERED AHEAD OF CALIFORNIA STORMS
The Los Angeles suburbs of Glendora and Azusa ordered residents to leave 1,000 homes, fearing mudslides and flooding.
9. URBAN RENEWAL EFFORTS TRIGGER EVICTIONS IN RIO
Hundreds of families are being forcibly removed from a city slum ahead of this year's World Cup and the 2016 Olympics.
10. WHAT JASON COLLINS SHARED WITH MATTHEW SHEPARD'S PARENTS
The first openly gay athlete in America's four major sports had some gifts when he met with the family of a Wyoming college student who was tortured and murdered in 1998 because he was gay.