Home News Local News Area school board races take shape
Area school board races take shape
24 people meet March 21 filing deadline to run for local school boards
by DICK MASON / The Observer
Following a flurry of last-minute filings, the Union County school board election field is set.
A total of 24 people met the March 21 filing deadline. Ballots for the election will be sent out in early May and must be returned by May 21.
Following are the candidates in each Union County School District.
La Grande School Board
• Zone 1, Position 1: Incumbent Bud Walker, who works for the State of Oregon, will run uncontested for re-election.
• Zone 3, Position 5: Incumbent Robin Maille will be challenged by Christopher Woodworth. Maille works for the Oregon State University Extension Service, and Woodworth is a physician at Grande Ronde Hospital.
• Zone 3, Position 4: Dayneen Koopman and Mike Gekas will vie for the position. Koopman is a mental health clinician/ therapist, and Gekas is employed by the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees Division of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
Incumbent John Sprenger did not file for re-election.
Cove School Board
Position 1: Incumbent Meg Moore will run unopposed. Moore is a dental hygienist and a part-time school bus driver.
Position 3: Monica Hill and Scott Spears will vie for the position. Hill is a registered nurse at Grande Ronde Hospital, and Spears is the chief financial officer for the Blue Mountain Recovery Center. Incumbent Tim DelCurto did not file for re-election.
Position 4: Incumbent Brett Moore will be challenged by Vernon Rush. Moore is a civil engineer, and Rush is a retired banker.
Elgin School Board
Position 1: Twila Ivins and Dee Mackie will vie for the position. Ivins works for the Oregon Department of Transportation, and Mackie is a school bus driver. Misti McClure of Elgin, the incumbent, could not run for re-election for this berth because it is an in-city position and she has moved outside the city limits.
Position 3: Incumbent Sheri Anderson will run unopposed. Anderson works for Pendleton Grain Growers.
Position 5: Bill Ledbetter will run unopposed. Ledbetter is the owner of B.L. Builders Inc. Incumbent Heidi Hallgarth did not file for
Imbler School Board
• Position 3: Incumbent Wade Bingaman, a farmer, will run uncontested for re-election.
• Position 4: Incumbent Pamela Glenn will run for re-election unchallenged.
• Position 5: Walt Sullivan, a retired engineer will run uncontested. Incumbent Jim Sauer did not file to run for re-election.
North Powder School Board
Position 4: Incumbent Larry Wogman, a rancher and a dentist, will run unopposed.
Position 1: Incumbent Matt McElligott, a rancher, will run unopposed.
Position 2: Tyson Orr, the incumbent, will run unopposed. Orr is a FedEx contractor.
Position 5: Incumbent Jeffrey Grende will run unopposed. Grende operates a heating company.
Union School Board
Position 1: Incumbent Mark Wing will run unchallenged for re-election. Wing has served on the school board for 31 years.
Position 3: Phillip O’Reilly, Lori Baird and Kathryn Kirby are running for the position, O’Reilly is a business owner, Baird is an office specialist at Eastern Oregon University, and Kirby is a registered nurse. Incumbent Ron Bruce did not file for re-election.