>La Grande Observer | Union and Wallowa Counties' News Leader

Observer news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow LaGrandeObserver.com

La Grande Observer print edition

view all La Grande Observer print publications »

La Grande Observer Daily Paper 07/21/14

The LaGrande Observer is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Current subscribers have full access to the E-edition.

View Paper

If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access.

Subscribe


Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow News arrow Local News arrow BABYSITTER SAVES BOY FROM FIRE

BABYSITTER SAVES BOY FROM FIRE

YOUNG HEROINE: Capt. Emmit Cornford and Officer Kris Petersen present Erica Alexander with a large stuffed dog. ().
YOUNG HEROINE: Capt. Emmit Cornford and Officer Kris Petersen present Erica Alexander with a large stuffed dog. ().

By The Observer

A 12-year-old girl acted quickly to rescue another child from a burning house Sunday morning in La Grande.

Erica Alexander was taking caring of an 8-year-old boy while his parents Mark and Angie Wells of 104 Lake St. were at work. When she heard a smoke alarm sound shortly after 7 a.m. she went to investigate and discovered a fire in a back bedroom closet, said Sgt. Scott Franks of the La Grande Police Department.

Erica telephoned an adult and took the boy out of the house to safety.

La Grande fire and police departments responded and firefighters extinguished the blaze after about 45 minutes.

Erica was thanked for her effort by police and fire personnel, who presented her with a stuffed dog and a bicycle helmet.

At the very least, Erica saved this family from losing additional thousands of dollars in property damage, Franks said. More importantly, however, is that she remained calm and did the right things that quite possibly saved her and the 8 year-olds life.

The fire department has determined that the blaze was started by a child playing with a lighter. The bedroom and all its contents were destroyed, fire officials said, and the hall, living room and kitchen suffered heavy heat and smoke damage.

 
blog comments powered by Disqus
News
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Public Notices
Opinion
Editorials / Letters / Guest Columns / Columnists
Features
Outdoors / Ag / Spiritual / Go Magazine / Portraits
Classifieds
View all classifieds / Jobs / Autos / Real Estate / Rentals / Place an Ad
The Observer
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Slideshows / Weather and Valley Cam / /index.php?option=com_rss&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1">RSS Feed ?> RSS Feed

Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2014 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use

LaGrandeObserver.com works best with the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer or Apple Safari

cialis prezzo in farmacia viagra aus indien gefährlich comprar viagra por correo achat viagras viagra generique pas cher cialis generico contrassegno kamagra tulli tadalafil generika costo viagra in italia vente levitra comprar viagra entrega rapida viagra au quebec tadalafil costo achat cialis bon prix cialis basso prezzo levitra ricetta cialis farmacia senza ricetta cialis 10mg comprar online cialis vendita farmacia cialis prix belgique super kamagra preis cialis online sicuro forum tadalafil 20mg kaufen cialis sicher kaufen viagra receta medica commander du viagra en suisse venta de tadalafil a san marino viagra senza ricetta viagra kopia levitra vente