Home News Local News Crews battle blaze at La Grande trailer park
Crews battle blaze at La Grande trailer park
A La Grande man was injured during a structure fire in the Stonewood Mobile Home Park Wednesday morning.
The La Grande Fire Department got the call shortly before 9 a.m. to a residence on lot 66 in Stonewood.
Fire Chief Bruce Weimer said the call indicated there was someone still inside the manufactured home. Two police officers arrived at the scene first, Weimer said. They attempted to enter the house but were driven back by smoke, the chief said.
When firefighters arrived on scene, they attacked the fire through the back door near the kitchen. Weimer said they think the fire started under the stove.
Weimer said the victim was next to a wheelchair, but was not in it “as if he was trying to get away from the fire.” Weimer said they believe the man was wheelchair-bound.
Police helped EMTs get the victim out of the home through a window, Weimer said.
Officials would not release the name of the victim. He was transported by ambulance to Grande Ronde Hospital with unknown injuries.
Chief Weimer said the fire was smoky but was knocked down quickly.
“We don’t know the exact cause yet,” he said.
Twelve firefighters, an ambulance, a fire engine and the aerial truck responded to the scene. LGFD was assisted by the La Grande Police Department, the Oregon State Police and La Grande Rural Fire Chief Larry Wooldridge.
Weimer said a pet in the house, a small dog, had died.