>La Grande Observer | Union and Wallowa Counties' News Leader

Observer news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow LaGrandeObserver.com

La Grande Observer print edition

view all La Grande Observer print publications »

La Grande Observer Daily Paper 09/01/14

The LaGrande Observer is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Current subscribers have full access to the E-edition.

View Paper

If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access.


Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow News arrow Local News arrow Hostage situation ends peacefully

Hostage situation ends peacefully

Law enforcement officers at the scene of a standoff situation Saturday afternoon on Leffell Rd. in north La Grande. (CHRIS BAXTER/The Observer)
Law enforcement officers at the scene of a standoff situation Saturday afternoon on Leffell Rd. in north La Grande. (CHRIS BAXTER/The Observer)

A 5-1/2 hour hostage standoff at a home on Leffell Road in north La Grande ended without incident late Saturday afternoon when a man was taken into custody by law enforcement officers.

Gregory Scott Carter, 48, was arrested after allegedly holding four juveniles against their will in a house at 62352 Leffell Road. Carter was charged with felony menacing with children present and reckless endangering. He also was arrested on a parole violation warrant out of Kentucky.

Carter was taken into custody at about 5:30 p.m. by the Union County Tactical Team which is comprised of Union County Sheriff's Department officers. The Tactical Team was assisted by the Oregon State Police, the La Grande Police and the Northeast Oregon Regional SWAT Team.

Carter was arrested after being negotiated out onto the front porch of his house, said Union County Sheriff Boyd Rasmussen. The juveniles he had been holding hostage were all relatives of his. Scott had access to at least one firearm. 

"It was a dangerous situation,'' Rasmussen said.

A firearm was discharged once during the standoff inside the house but nobody was hurt.

Rasmussen said he was very happy that the hostage situation was resolved before it got dark, which would have complicated the situation by making it harder to contain the house, the sheriff said.

"It would have been more difficult to see what was going on,'' Rasmussen said.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Public Notices
Editorials / Letters / Guest Columns / Columnists
Outdoors / Ag / Spiritual / Go Magazine / Portraits
View all classifieds / Jobs / Autos / Real Estate / Rentals / Place an Ad
The Observer
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Slideshows / Weather and Valley Cam / /index.php?option=com_rss&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1">RSS Feed ?> RSS Feed

Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2014 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use