>La Grande Observer | Union and Wallowa Counties' News Leader

Observer news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow LaGrandeObserver.com

La Grande Observer print edition

view all La Grande Observer print publications »

The Observer paper 11/21/14

The LaGrande Observer is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Current subscribers have full access to the E-edition.

View Paper

If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access.


Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow News arrow Local News arrow Providing food, shelter over holidays


Providing food, shelter over holidays

Union County receives $11,808 to provide food and shelter for those in need; agencies must apply for money by Thursday those in need

Charitable organizations in Union County, which provide assistance to those in need, will soon be able to extend their reach.

The National Emergency Food and Shelter Board has awarded Union County’s local Emergency Food and Shelter Board $11,906 in federal funds.  

The money will be used to supplement the local board’s emergency food and shelter program. 

“We are very excited, this was more than we anticipated,’’ said Carmen Gentry, county manager and food bank manager for  Community Connection of Northeast Oregon and a member of the local Emergency Food and Shelter Board. 

Gentry said the funds are badly needed, noting that Union County food banks are reporting that requests for food are up 7 percent from three months ago.

The funding will go to local agencies and organizations which provide food, shelter or assistance for utility expenses to people in need. These organizations must apply for the funds by 5 p.m. Thursday. 

Union County’s Emergency Food and Shelter Board will meet on Dec. 19 to determine how the $11,906 will be distributed.

Organizations and agencies eligible for these funds  must meet the following requirements:

• be a private non-profit organization or a unit of government.

• be eligible to receive federal funds.

• have an accounting system.

• practice nondiscrimination.

• have demonstrated the ability to deliver emergency food or provide emergency shelter.

• private voluntary organizations must have a voluntary board.

For an application or more information call  Gentry at 541-963-7532, ext. 12 or pick up  an application at the Union County Senior Center, 1504 Albany St. 


blog comments powered by Disqus
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Public Notices
Editorials / Letters / Guest Columns / Columnists
Outdoors / Ag / Spiritual / Go Magazine / Portraits
View all classifieds / Jobs / Autos / Real Estate / Rentals / Place an Ad
The Observer
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Slideshows / Weather and Valley Cam / /index.php?option=com_rss&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1">RSS Feed ?> RSS Feed

Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2014 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use

  • cheapest windows 7 starter buy microsoft office 2007 product key cheap http://depts.washington.edu/icutalk/?hos...
  • http://web.taftcollege.edu/athletics/alu... buy quicken home business 2007 http://web.taftcollege.edu/athletics/alu...
    http://isa.univ-tours.fr/?&sn=get&cat=44... tadalafil en france achat viagra femme
    erfahrungen viagra generika http://ahva.ubc.ca/student/index.php?all... viagra farmacia italana
    http://www.nhcadsv.org/book9/index.php?p... comprar-viagra-spain cialis 20 mg compra
    best price adobe photoshop cs4 win price of windows 7 operating system http://nfmod.newell-fonda.k12.ia.us/inde... photoshop cs5 cost download captivate сс adobe lightroom 3 download mac