>La Grande Observer | Union and Wallowa Counties' News Leader

Observer news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow LaGrandeObserver.com

La Grande Observer print edition

view all La Grande Observer print publications »

The Observer Paper 12/22/14

The LaGrande Observer is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Current subscribers have full access to the E-edition.

View Paper

If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access.


Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow News arrow Local News arrow STANDOFF IN ELGIN ENDS PEACEFULLY



ELGIN An all-day standoff between police agencies and an Elgin resident ended peacefully late Sunday afternoon when Bradly Wayne Gentry, 35, surrendered.

The standoff began at 9:15 a.m. Sunday with a 911 hang-up call. After officers arrived, they talked to Gentry and a woman. When Gentry learned he would be taken to jail on a charge of fourth-degree assault, he barricaded himself in his house at 590 Division St. before officers could arrest him.

Undersheriff Dana Wright said a woman and children had left the house, and Gentry was alone.

For more than seven hours, law enforcement officers tried to persuade Gentry to surrender. Officers cordoned off a four-block area and told residents about the situation.

Several residents decided to evacuate their homes voluntarily, Wright said.

Gentry pulled the phone cord out of the wall and would not talk to officers during the early hours of the standoff.

Finally, Jim Gray, a reserve deputy with the Union County Sheriffs Department, used a bullhorn and persuaded Gentry to leave the house peacefully. No shots were fired and no one was injured.

Gray, a volunteer, is employed at the Oregon Department of Transportation, where Gentry also works.

He (Gentry) recognized Grays voice and decided to come on out, Wright said.

We were just getting ready to call in the Oregon State Police SWAT team, he said.

Gentry was lodged in the Union County jail on charges of fourth-degree assault, domestic, and interfering with a report. Bail was set at $8,107.

Officers from the sheriffs department, Elgin Police Department and OSP responded to the call.


blog comments powered by Disqus
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Public Notices
Editorials / Letters / Guest Columns / Columnists
Outdoors / Ag / Spiritual / Go Magazine / Portraits
View all classifieds / Jobs / Autos / Real Estate / Rentals / Place an Ad
The Observer
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Slideshows / Weather and Valley Cam / /index.php?option=com_rss&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1">RSS Feed ?> RSS Feed

Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2014 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use

cialis billiger cialis en belgique http://animateurs.france5.fr/IMG/cache-g...