Schnore, Miller, Maguire, Strong, Smith
Ida F. Schnore
Ida was born March 10, 1912, in Carey, Idaho, to Frank W. and Sarah Pearl (Ford) Phippen. The family moved to Elgin in 1923. She graduated from Elgin High School in 1932.
She married Melvin Schnore on June 1, 1935. They farmed the Schnore ranch on Indian Creek until 1945 when they moved to Elgin. She drove a wheat truck and helped Melvin run the Joe Hallgarth ranch. She worked as clerk for Kernans variety store for several years.
She was a member of the Elgin Christian Church.
Melvin died in 1994. She moved to the Grande Ronde Retirement Residence in 2002 and then to Connie Seaman’s care home in 2009.
She was preceded in death by all her siblings, Alton, Milton, Doyle and Cal Phippen, Erma Nelson and Ella Cummins.
She is survived by nieces and nephews, Betty Kernen of Sisters, Maxine Lee of Castle Rock, Wash., Larry Nelson of Salem, Donna Evanoff of Salem, Jerry Cummins of Portland, Glenda Skinner of California, Phyllis Bechtel of Elgin, Shirley Simmons of La Grande and Carol Hilsenkopp of Forest Grove.
Robert ‘Tex’ Miller
He was born July 3, 1925, to Dewey Conrad Miller and Rita Mae Litch in Albuquerque, N.M.
Tex went through all of his years of schooling at Enterprise, excepted his senior year of high school. He graduated from Prineville High School in 1943, where people called him “The Enterprise Flash” for his speed on the basketball court. He joined the Navy before high school graduation and served in the Seabees during WWII. He was stationed in Oahu, Hawaii, for most of the war, but he served in Okinawa for the last six months of his service.
He married Bonnie Jean McCubbin in Enterprise on Aug. 28, 1946. They made their home in Enterprise for the rest of their lives. Bonnie died Oct. 7, 2003, after a battle with Alzheimer’s. Tex took care of Bonnie in her last years.
As a child of the Depression, Tex grew up with a strong work ethic. He had paper routes and when he was old enough, he started working on the Litch farm for his Uncle Charlie. He did farm work every summer for local farmers the same time he helped his uncle. After moving to Prineville, he worked as a fire spotter in the Ochoco National Forst. He trained for his life work as a lineman for Pacific Power & Light while he was in Hawaii. After his retirement from PP&L, he started driving a water truck for Kellerman Logging. He had said it was his favorite job. He loved being out in the woods looking at wildlife and talking on the CB giving everyone a “bad time.”
Tex was a volunteer fireman, serving as chief, for many years. He had many stories of driving the local ambulance, which was a duty of the fire department at that time. He was a member of the VFW and Elks and played town team basketball. He was a 64-year member of the IBEW, serving as the union representative for his crew for a number of years. Tex was also a member of the Enterprise Community Church. He served as a deacon there for a number of years.
Tex loved to go out and cut firewood. He spent many weekends hauling wood to keep the house warm over the winter. They kept the house at 85 to 90 degrees during the winter.
Tex and Bonnie enjoyed camping on the Upper Imnaha and other favorite spots in the county, usually with one or more grandchildren in tow. Over the years, he raised horses, cows, chickens and the occasional mule in his pasture on Margaret Street. In his later years, he kept a steer every year, which provided the family with lots of hamburger.
He loved to meet up with the guys every morning at Range Rider for coffee and cribbage. One morning, he had a perfect hand of crib and has a photo taken to prove it.
Tex is survived by his three children, Mike and Don of Enterprise and Janelle of Pendleton; five grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; and his brother, Richard Miller (Marilyn) of Keizer; and nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by Bonnie, his wife of 57 years; his parents; and borhter, Bill Miller.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association, Wallowa Memorial Hospital or any other charity.
Formerly of La Grande