>La Grande Observer | Union and Wallowa Counties' News Leader

La Grande, OR forecast
& Eastern Oregon University Valley Cam

http://tinyurl.com/n2723qt
Observer news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow LaGrandeObserver.com

Today's front page

Image of The Observer's Front Page

Get Home Delivery of The Observer for only $8.50 per month, $9.50 for motor routes. Just click here and after filling out one simple and secure online form you could be on your way to learning more information about local, state and world news.

manage your account »

Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow Opinion arrow Letters arrow Letters and comments for November 25, 2011

Letters and comments for November 25, 2011

Letters and comments for November 25, 2011

Provide access


To the Editor:

I wasn’t going to put in my two cents worth on David Mildrexler’s community comment, but I changed my mind.

He states, “When the national forests were established, the guarantee was made that all Americans would have a chance to hunt, fish and roam the wilds.”

He needs to pay more attention to the word “all.” Right now, over half of the Wallowa Whitman National Forest is off limits to motorized vehicles. There are wilderness areas, a national recreation area, natural research areas, wild and scenic areas, areas to protect wildlife and their habitat and numerous other designated areas that don’t allow motorized access. How much more really needs to be locked up?

I believe there is a place for true “wilderness.” But the areas that fit the intent of the “Wilderness Act” are already designated as such, as are some areas that should have lesser restrictions on them. Some areas would be better served with a “Backcountry Recreation Area” designation. This would allow controlled motorized access where appropriate; yet protect the area from development.

The Forest Service’s Travel Management Plan was supposed to control “unregulated” motorized use, not eliminate use on the other 50 percent of the forest. I have little problem with reining in the amount of off road travel by off-highway vehicles.

But I see no need for the wholesale elimination of all non-maintained roads. They provide a place for a form of recreation that is just as important and as appropriate as any other. Many times they also provide access to views of the most beautiful places we have.

Why should 1 percent of the population have access to all the best places on our public lands, while the other 99 percent are locked out, just because of how they choose to get there?

Mark Barber

La Grande



Common sense


To the Editor:

I am an animal lover, and always have been. I believe any rancher that loses livestock to wolves should be compensated.

I have read that there are kids in Oregon that are going hungry and are homeless — some of them right here in La Grande. And there are adults who have the same problem.

And the taxpayers are buying beefsteak for the wolves?

What kind of priority is this? What in the world has happened to just plain common sense?

June Wood

La Grande

 


 

Letters From Readers

The Observer welcomes letters to the editor. Letters can be no more than 300 words. All letters must be signed by the author and carry the address of the sender.

The Observer edits letters for brevity, grammar, taste and legal reasons. We will not publish consumer complaints against businesses or personal attacks against private individuals. Thank-you letters are discouraged.

 
blog comments powered by Disqus
News
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Public Notices
Opinion
Editorials / Letters / Guest Columns / Columnists
Features
Outdoors / Ag / Spiritual / Go Magazine / Portraits
Classifieds
View all classifieds / Jobs / Autos / Real Estate / Rentals / Place an Ad
The Observer
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Slideshows / Weather and Valley Cam / /index.php?option=com_rss&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1">RSS Feed ?> RSS Feed

Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2014 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use

LaGrandeObserver.com works best with the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer or Apple Safari