Letters to the editor for February 25, 2013
Signature-gathering process to begin March 8
To the Editor
Union County Citizens for Good Government members were not successful in convincing Union County’s commissioners to place the question of electing county commissioners on a nonpartisan basis on the November 2012 ballot. The commissioners, in refusing to place the issue before the voters, challenged us to file an initiative petition to put the issue before the voters.
The challenge was accepted and the process of obtaining approval from the county clerk and district attorney for the initiative petition signature gathering material is completed.
The signature-gathering process will begin March 8 with a public meeting in Cove at the Ascension Conference Center at 7 p.m.
Other community meetings are scheduled for:
• Imbler: March 11, Imbler High School, Room 1, 6 p.m.;
• North Powder: March 13, North Powder Grange Hall, 6:30 p.m.;
• Union: March 18, Union VFW Hall, 7 p.m.;
• Elgin: March 20, Elgin Community Center, 7 p.m.; and
• La Grande: March 22, Cook Memorial Library, 7 p.m.
Please join us for an informal discussion of the issue in one of the community meetings. Learn how to make your vote count and sign the petition.