>La Grande Observer | Union and Wallowa Counties' News Leader

Observer news NE Oregon Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Follow LaGrandeObserver.com

La Grande Observer print edition

view all La Grande Observer print publications »

La Grande Observer 03/30/15

The LaGrande Observer is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Current subscribers have full access to the E-edition.

View Paper

If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access.

Subscribe


Recent article comments

Powered by Disqus

Home arrow Opinion

Keeping up with calendars no easy task as winter turns corner

I got home last night in time to bring in the firewood without the use of my headlights — it was after 5 p.m. – and this morning it was light at 6:30 a.m. I feel like I’ve finally turned the corner on the darkest of winter’s days.


MY VOICE: What itís like to be the real 1 percent

Recently, Americans have been subjected to persistent political blather about “1 percent” of our citizens who, supposedly, “aren’t paying their ‘fair’ share of taxes” in relation to the other 99 percent. But I’m more concerned about a different 1 percent — actually about one-half of 1 percent. This involves current military personnel who provide the rest of America with its peace and freedom. Many of these 99-percenters haven’t a clue about what this 1 percent has endured on their behalf since our all-volunteer military became a reality.


Letters to the editor for January 27, 2014

U-turns or no U-turns, that is the question in Union

To the Editor:

I am writing to give a warning to the many people who make U-turns in Union. On Jan. 15, I parked in front of City Hall to pay my utility bill. I then proceeded to the corner of Main and Dearborn streets and made a U-turn; turning right would put one right on the road between S.E. Miller School and J.F.  Hutchinson School. 


OUR VIEW: Rehab tax an option to the EID

Criticism of La Grande Main Street was obvious in 2013 as downtown property owners objected to implementing an Economic Improvement District. The assessment was intended to bring stable funding to the Main Street program, the nonprofit organization dedicated to reviving the downtown area.


GARDEN GUIDE: January isn't too early to get growing

It may seem early, but now is the time to start planning your long-growing vegetables for starting seeds in the greenhouse or other heated area.  

If you are starting tomatoes from seed, they usually take six to eight weeks after germination to become strong enough to place into a cold frame or “wall-o-water” outside.  The same holds true for eggplant, most varieties of peppers, and members of the Cole or cabbage family which includes broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and yes, even Brussels spouts.


DORY'S DIARY: The perfect snow for making people

January has seemed more like March than the time of year when we should be deep in the winter of things.

Still, we don’t know what to expect as we edge towards a real spring, so maybe we should look back with a longing glance at what used to be.


PETERSEN: Snow performs disappearing act

Each night, on Channel 2, weatherman Dave Salesky exclaims amazement at the ice hell that is La Grande.


PETERSEN: Snow performs disappearing act

Each night, on Channel 2, weatherman Dave Salesky exclaims amazement at the ice hell that is La Grande.


EDITORIAL: Time to revisit death penalty

For most of Oregon’s history, the state has offered capital punishment as a deterrent for the most heinous of criminals. An eye for an eye and all that.


Dog celebrates homecoming in most unorthodox fashion

In a recent discussion I was told an apartment is not a home. I disagreed. An apartment might not be a house, but it indeed is a home, if its inhabitants think so.


<< Start < Previous page 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next page > End >>

Results 271 - 285 of 4905
News
Local / Sports / Business / State / National / Obituaries / Public Notices
Opinion
Editorials / Letters / Guest Columns / Columnists
Features
Outdoors / Ag / Spiritual / Go Magazine / Portraits
Classifieds
View all classifieds / Jobs / Autos / Real Estate / Rentals / Place an Ad
The Observer
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Site Map
Also Online
Photo Reprints / Slideshows / Weather and Valley Cam / /index.php?option=com_rss&feed=RSS2.0&no_html=1">RSS Feed ?> RSS Feed

Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Follow La Grande Observer headlines on Twitter

© Copyright 2001 - 2015 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use