Read story below
Every year I write a Christmas list article on what to buy the outdoorsman in your life. Outdoorsmen are easy to buy for since our activities are gear-oriented. There’s a million items just for fishing alone and more are invented weekly.
I used to write a weekly column for Bass Pro Shop and they’d have me write five lists for Christmas. So believe me, outdoorsmen are easy (but specific) to buy for. I get to test a ton of gear every year. Below are some items that I’ve tested this year that impressed me.
• If you want to really impress him buy him a Diamond Blade knife. A cool set is their African PH combo set. It is the ultimate skinning set.
• Silynx Hearing protection/hearing enhancement Claurus Pro set.
• ThermaCELL mosquito unit and lanterns.
• ThermaCELL heated pads
• Simms waders and wading boots. If it’s imperative not to get wet, buy Simms.
• Knives of Alaska. Pronghorn or Elk hunter knife.
• Irish Setter boots. I own probably 4 or 5 models.
• For a dependable shotgun check out the Mossberg Waterfowler Pro Series or for a rifle their Patriot.
• For optics I use Leupold.
• Backpacks. Check out the Alps Mountaineering options.
• MyTopo Maps owns the map market. They’ll make whatever you want.
• Flies — check out flydealflies.com
• Gun Cleaning gear. Otis owns the market.
• Knife-sharpening gear. Check out the Smith’s Products line of sharpeners.
• Big Game decoys. I use Montana Decoys. They’re lightweight and easy to pack.
• Grinder. I use a Weston.
• Jerky makers — Weston makes a slicing board and knife.
• Airguns — check out the new Sig Sauer line of airguns. Sweet.
• Flashlights —check out the line of rechargeable lights from Coast.
• Sure-Shot duck calls
• XGO base layer clothing. This is what I wear.
• Lodge Dutch ovens and black iron skillets. They make the best.
• Field & Stream makes some nice fishing shorts and shirts.
• Explorer gun cases. Great for flying.
• GSM Outdoors Stealthcam trail camera.
• Ask him what kind of ammo he favors.
• Birchwood Casey makes some cool new targets. Dueling Tree Stand, Diamond Spinning and the Mule Kick Target.
• Little bungee cords to strap stuff to your backpack.
• Plastic lures — check out Lake Fork Trophy Lure Co.
• Survival matches, fire starter and Bic lighters.
• Fishing lures
• .22 bullets
• Sausage and jerky seasoning, Hi-Mountain Seasonings makes the best.
• Mountain House backpacking meals.
• TTI Blakemore jigs.
• Gift card at his favorite outdoor store.
• Hiking socks
• Clean Trek wipes
• Subscription to an Outdoor magazine. We love outdoor articles.
• Subscription to the NRA Magazine. They are the leading protectors of our Second Amendment.
• An “I’ll go fishing/hunting/four-wheeling With You” pass. It won’t cost you a penny and he’ll love it.
I love it when Katy goes with me.