Help keep local fireworks show alive

Written by Observer editorial March 11, 2011 02:48 pm
The community is facing the possibility of not having a fireworks show this year unless volunteers step forward to conduct fundraising for the
annual event. Bruce Weimer, who has served as president of the Union County Fireworks Action Committee for more than a decade, says the time has come to reinvigorate the committee with new blood. A meeting of people interested in helping to make sure the fireworks show goes on will be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday at the La Grande Fire Station on Cove Avenue.

Weimer said that the small group of volunteers who have been putting on the show the past few years are in need of help, especially with fundraising. Organizing the show itself won’t be a problem, Weimer said, but fundraising has grown more difficult each year.

The committee needs to raise about $10,000 each year. The county helps out with a significant donation, and a prize raffle has provided a large portion of the funding. But maintaining the funding is a task that will require more dedicated volunteers, Weimer said.

“We need ideas of how to raise funds,’’ said Weimer, who is La Grande’s fire chief.

And the effort is in need of volunteers who are willing to put in the time to pull it off.

The Observer is willing to be involved again, just like we were when former Publisher Bob Moody stepped forward about 25 years ago to make sure the community would have a fireworks show each year. He and Bob Goss organized a group of dedicated community volunteers who became the ad hoc fireworks action committee. Members have come and gone over the years, and for the last decade or so Weimer, Steve Combs and Karla Sorweide have kept the show alive.

The time has come, though, for a new generation of volunteers. Anyone who has ideas about how the fireworks committee can go about raising the money that will keep the show alive should plan on attending Wednesday’s meeting. Those who can’t make the meeting but would like to be involved are encouraged to call Weimer at the fire hall, 541-963-3123.

The show must go on.