La Grande home damaged in early morning blaze

Written by Katy Nesbitt, The Observer December 27, 2013 09:26 am

The La Grande Rural Fire Department responded to an early morning house fire Thursday.

Two engines and about 12 firefighters responded to a home on Russell Avenue that was filled with smoke about 12:42 a.m.

La Grande Rural Fire Chief Larry Wooldridge said children in the home alerted parents to smoke in the upstairs rooms. The family was able to get out of the home by the time firefighters arrived.

“There was fire between the first and second floor,” Wooldridge said. “It took a little bit to find where the fire was.”

Smoke was coming out of light fixtures upstairs, but the fire was located downstairs in a bedroom ceiling.

Wooldridge said the cause of the fire was an electrical problem with the ceiling light.

“There was smoke throughout the house, but the damage from the fire was in a single bedroom,” he said.

Wooldridge said fires from electrical issues can be fairly common in winter, especially in older homes.

No one was injured in the blaze.