WesCom News Service staff


BAKER CITY — Eastern Oregon

Medical Associates St. Luke’s Clinic has new operating hours.

Regular hours for the clinic, at 3950 17th St., are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The walk-in clinic hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. to
4 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for acute issues only.

To schedule an appointment or for more information, call 541-523-1001.

Deadline nears for farmers to file crop certification reports

July 15 is the deadline for Union County farmers to file an accurate crop certification report at the county’s Farm Service Agency office, 1901 Adams Ave. No. 5.

Filing the report, which covers crops planted this spring, is necessary to comply with FSA programs.

If a perennial forage crop is reported with the intended use of “cover only,” “green manure,” “left standing,” or “seed,” then the acreage must be reported by July 15.

Exceptions to the July 15 deadline:

• If the crop has not been planted by July 15, then the acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed

• If a producer acquires additional acreage after July 15, then the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendars days after purchase or acquiring the lease. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program policy holders should note that the acreage reporting date for NAP-covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.

More information about crop certification and crop loss reports is available by calling the FSA office at 541-963-4178.

Enrollment for 2017 crop safety net coverage continues

Producers on farms with base acres under the safety net programs established by the 2014 Farm Bill, known as the Agriculture Risk Coverage or Price Loss Coverage programs, can visit their local FSA office to sign contracts and enroll for the 2017 crop year. The enrollment period will continue until Aug. 1.

Since shares and ownership of a farm can change year to year, producers on the farm must enroll by signing a contract each program year.

If a farm is not enrolled during the 2017 enrollment period, the producers on that farm will not be eligible for financial assistance from the ARC or PLC programs for the 2017 crop should crop prices or farm revenues fall below the historical price or revenue benchmarks established by the program. Producers who made their elections in 2015 must still enroll during the 2017 enrollment period.

The ARC and PLC programs were authorized by the 2014 Farm Bill and offer a safety net to agricultural producers when there is a substantial drop in prices or revenues for covered commodities. Covered commodities include barley, canola, large and small chickpeas, corn, crambe, flaxseed, grain sorghum, lentils, mustard seed, oats, peanuts, dry peas, rapeseed, long grain rice, medium grain rice (which includes short grain and sweet rice), safflower seed, sesame, soybeans, sunflower seed and wheat.

For more information, producers are encouraged to visit their local FSA office:

• Baker County: 3990 Midway Drive, Baker City, 541-523-3621

• Union County: 1901 Adams Ave.,
No. 5, La Grande, 541-963-4178

• Wallowa County: 201 N.W. First St., Enterprise, 541-426-4521