SALEM — The Oregon Department of Agriculture is seeking applicants to fill 70 commissioner seats on twotwo of the state's agricultural and commercial fisheries commodity commissions. The deadline to apply is March one6.
Commissioners work as public officials and serve two- to four-year terms. Their duties include funding decisions for promotion, education and research projects. ODA Director Alexis Taylor is looking for applicants who represent the diversity among Oregon's farmers, ranchers, processors and commercial fishers.
The Fine Fescue Commission has a position specifically open to a producer from Union County.
A public member must be a U.S. citizen, an Oregon resident and have an active interest in improving economic conditions for the commodity. A "producer" is a grower or harvester. A "handler" is the first to buy the commodity from the producer and often is a processor, distributor or marketer.
The following agricultural commodity commissions have openings:
- Alfalfa Seed Commission — three producers
- Beef Council — one beef producer, one dairy producer
- Blueberry Commission — two producers, one handler
- Clover Seed Commission — three producers
- Fine Fescue Commission — three producers (one state at large, one from Union County, one Highland Bentgrass grower), one handler (state at large)
- Hazelnut Commission — two producers, one public member
- Hop Commission — three producers
- Mint Commission — one producer, one public member
- Potato Commission — three producers (one from Blue Mountains, one from southern Oregon, one state at large), one Blue Mountains handler
- Processed Vegetable Commission — three producers, two handlers
- Raspberry and Blackberry Commission — two producers, one handler
- Ryegrass Seed Commission — three producers (one Linn County, one Marion or Polk County, one state at large)
- Sheep Commission — two producers, one handler
- Strawberry Commission — three producers, one handler
- Sweet Cherry Commission — two producers (state at large), one brine handler (state at large)
- Tall Fescue Commission — two producers (one of Orchardgrass seed), one handler
- Wheat Commission — one producer (Umatilla, Morrow, Gilliam, Sherman, Jefferson or Wasco counties), one handler, one public member
- For instructions on how to apply, the application or to learn more about commissions, visit www.oda.direct/commissions or contact Kris Anderson, ODA commodity oversight program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-872-6604.