Alyssa Sutton

Jan. 1 saw multiple laws go into effect, one of which allows people to affirm their gender identity on a birth certificate by completing a notarized application rather than having to get a court order.

While the option of changing gender identity or name has long been available, House Bill 2673 has made it easier.

“The process is the same,” Union County Trial Court Administrator Michelle Leonard said, “but now no notices are required.”

Prior to the passing of HB 2673, a court order indicating the name change or that an individual had completed sexual reassignment was required in order to change the name or sex designation on an Oregon birth certificate.

With the passing of this new law, a name or sex designation change on a birth certificate can be requested by an individual 18 or older or by an emancipated minor.

“If you’re over 18, there isn’t a waiting period,” Leonard said. “Before you had to wait 30 days.”

If an individual younger than 18 wants to file for a name or sex designation change, a parent or legal guardian can make the request. In addition, individuals who have changed their name on their birth certificates previously but have not redesignated their sex can use the same process to make those changes.

“HB 2673 ensures any individual can request a name change and sex designation change on a birth certificate that accurately reflects their gender identity,” said Jennifer Woodward, Ph.D., state registrar and manager of the Vital Records office –– also known as the Center for Health Statistics –– in a press release.

See complete story in Monday's Observer