The Oregon State Police took a juvenile into custody Wednesday after he led law enforcement on a high-speed chase that ended in a stand off in upper Perry.

A 17-year-old male from Boise, Idaho, was traveling westbound on Interstate 84 near milepost 278 at speeds of more than 100 miles an hour. When OSP attempted to stop the driver, he continued to drive recklessly,
according to a press release from OSP. Law enforcement decided to terminate the chase due to safety reasons but continued to follow the car.

Approximately 20 miles later, troopers decided to initiate another pursuit due to the juvenile’s continuous reckless driving. Just after the pursuit began again, the driver crashed the vehicle into a guardrail. The driver immediately exited the vehicle, armed with a machete, fled on foot, and there was a brief standoff before he was arrested, according to the release.

The incident took place very close to local residences. According to OSP Sgt. Kyle Hove, the standoff was approximately 30 feet away from the nearest home.

Hove said law enforcement tried to warn people about the scene, but no one was home at the time.

Troopers and deputies established a perimeter and located the subject. Troopers were able to talk the juvenile into dropping his weapon, and he was taken into custody on charges of reckless driving, felony elude and misdemeanor elude, according to the release.

Hove said there was no signs of impairment, but the juvenile admitted he had been feeling “distraught over family matters” at the time of the chase.

He suffered a nose bleed due to the crash but was otherwise unharmed, according to Hove.

The vehicle became fully engulfed in flame after the crash. The right lane of I-84 westbound near milepost 257 was closed for approximately two hours while the investigation was conducted.

OSP was assisted by the Union County Sheriff’s Office, Union County Juvenile Department, La Grande Fire Department, Department of Human Services and Oregon Department of Transportation.