Michael "Mick" McClure


Michael E McClure, known to all of humanity as “Mick,” age 73, stands in the presence of his Lord. He passed away at Banner Casa Grande Medical Center in Arizona on June 15th, 2019.
A memorial service will be held at the Red Lion in Lewiston, ID on July 5th @ 3:00 PM. Prepare yourself, this may be a bit more like a comedy roast. We are all going to laugh a lot. The family is requesting in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Happy Life Children’s Home in Nairobi, Africa via their website at www.happylifechildrenshome.comtarget="_blank">www.happylifechildrenshome.com.
Mick McClure was a world-renowned story teller, car peddler, junkie for new hobbies, but above all else, a man on fire for the love of Christ.
Begat by Jean (Niver) McClure and John McClure on February 3rd, 1946, his arrival was roughly 2,000 years late. Although Mick came to know The Lord later in life, he would have blended well with the apostles Peter and John who were known for, shall we say, “speaking their mind.” Born in Wheatland, WY, he spent his first eleven years on a farm east of Glendo, WY. In 1957 the family moved to the big city of Prosser, WA (pop 3000) where it didn’t take long before he came to be known by the local police force. By age 14 the best path forward avoiding incarceration was through St. Martin’s Catholic boarding high school in Lacey, WA. Even the Fathers and Brothers of the Benedictine Order could not contain him. Thanks to a priest with a broken nose and no sense of smell, Mick crafted his cigarette smoking skills in the back of a class room near the window while plotting where he and his friends would stash the beer in the field to snag over the weekend. Never mind it sat in the sun for days, Mick was always on a mission to have a damn good time, skunked beer and all. Mick spent his childhood years harassing and tormenting his younger brother Pat at every turn. But Pat was able to exact revenge when Mick was briefly wheelchair bound with a broken leg and couldn’t defend himself. We are certain Mick got what he had coming.
After high school, Mick took a rather uninspired run at college, flunking out and turning to the Army. He served faithfully and dutifully with a tour in Korea, returning to school afterwards at Eastern Washington University, and blazed through his bachelor’s degree with very high marks.
Post-college he meandered through a few career options, including, by his own words, “being a sucker for a pyramid scheme” through Kampgrounds of America, but then fell face-first into the car business working for Hoff Ford in Lewiston. In 1981, Mick kicked the booze to the curb and led an alcohol-free life. He was bold about alcoholism and preached addiction awareness to anyone he knew who was also wrestling with addiction. Although alcohol never made its way back into his life, he exercised little restraint in his hobbies. From golf to airplanes to Harleys to archery to shooting sporting clays, we all knew what Mick was up to in his free time. It never ceased to amaze us the lengths he would go with his new passions.
Mick was also known as a student of gotchas and jokes on his friends. From a frozen rattlesnake in a deep freezer which almost gave his first wife a coronary to a fake booger hanging long from his nose after a sneeze at a party, Mick loved to mess with people. His shenanigans invited return fire that would often result in him laughing the loudest when someone got him. There will be a menu of stories available at his memorial service provided with additional color being that he won’t be able to defend himself!
Mick’s focus in his career led him to purchase the Honda store from Tony Copeland in the mid-90s. Mick was known as a dedicated and passionate business owner, having several people who worked for him for decades.
He was married to two incredibly strong women during his time on earth. Johnna McClure for twenty some years, which gave way to three children – Jennifer, Michelle, and Doug. Jennifer gave him the least amount of stress, Michelle the most, and Doug, well, he was a close second.
Patty, his wife of 16 years, blessed him with continued fatherhood with her children Joe, Heather, and Luke. Mick thought he was prepared for the rambunctiousness of Luke and the flightiness of Heather, but still had his work cut out. Though they had no idea what they were up against, as Mick had “been there, done that, got the t-shirt for it” when it came to out-clevering the kids at their own charades. Joe was the easy one.
All six of Mick’s children knew him well and depended on him often. He was a great listener, gave straight and wise counsel, and will be tremendously missed by his wife, kids, brother, and friends. You must know that Mick oft quoted 3 John verse 4 “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth,” because he was a very proud father. He is known by his children as a beautiful combination of loving and compassionate with a splash of insensitivity. This can be evidenced by his constant questions about the grandkids, but then when his mother passed, informing his children that “they wheeled her out to the burn barrel.”
Mick and Patty lived a life of putting their money where their mouth was. The beginning of his journey of faith was largely inspired through his love and relationship with Patty. In fact, when Mick was returning from his first date with Patty, he was quoted saying “…well I’m flying back to Lewiston without my socks. She knocked them off!” He proposed two months later. They were best friends and did everything together. In fact, they were so fervent in their faith, they sold damn near everything and lived a life that displayed their priorities. We all knew of this because he would tell you how you need to get rid of all your stuff. If it wasn’t him telling you to sell everything, he was telling you about the latest and greatest book he found of which you would be receiving in the mail any day. You didn’t bother telling him you weren’t interested, because he wouldn’t listen.
He will be having a reunion with so many friends and relatives that passed before him. Mick was always in charge of getting the booze and food for our family functions, so they will be happy to see him.
Whenever Mick walked into a business or a new venue, he would scan the room for the overlooked and the under-appreciated. From those bagging groceries at the store to the guy taking out the trash, Mick would focus all his effort on making them feel not only appreciated, but known and respected. Servers at restaurants in particular; he would tell them how God gave his only son for them, then he would leave an enormous tip. He loved doing that.
Blessed with a constant sense of humor and an unending well of stories, Mick was most known for his loving and giving nature, and his zeal for The Lord. That evidence is the deep sorrow his family and friends feel from his passing, but also the joy and laughter that remains. So much laughter.
Mick led a great life and one of no regrets. He was ready to meet his maker, and we all know that upon his arrival, he was greeted with an emphatic and enthusiast “Well done, my good and faithful servant.” We know he is telling God stories that He’s already heard.

Lola T. (Stussi) Chapman

La Grande

Lola Theta Chapman, 87, of La Grande, died June 15. A celebration of her life will be held at 2 p.m. July 13 at Daniels-Knopp Funeral, Cremation & Life Celebration Center. Interment will be held at 2 p.m. July 14 at the cemetery in Hamilton.

Lola was born Feb. 4, 1932, in Long Creek, to John and Reta (Burnside) Stussi. She attended Hamilton Elementary School and graduated from Long Creek High School. On April 9, 1950, Lola married Roland Elton Chapman, and they resided on a ranch in Long Creek. During that time Lola was the secretary of the Grant County Farm Bureau, served as president of the PTA and arranged many community events.

Roland preceded her in death in March 1966. In 1967, she moved to Union, where she resided for a time before living in Pendleton for a few years. She then returned to La Grande, where she worked as a Hyster driver for Boise Cascade for 25 years. In 1970, Lola married Ron Roethler. They later divorced but retained a treasured friendship. She graduated from Walla Walla Business College that same year.

Lola was very talented at needlework, crocheting, embroidery and quilting. For years she entered her crafts and flowers in the county fair and she received many blue and purple ribbons. She also enjoyed gardening and playing card games, especially pinochle and solitaire. Lola loved Christmas, making sure each gift was special. During her yearly trips to the coast, she made sure she brought home enough crab for a big crab feed. You often could see Lola traveling down the road in her little red truck and camper with her grandchildren in tow. Her favorite childhood memories included stories about riding her pony, “Tony,” to school and following her dad over the hills of the Hamilton area.

Surviving relatives include her children and their spouses, Juanita and Allen Weissenfluh of La Grande, Marsha and Harvey Morgan of Summerville and Ron and Miriam Chapman of Springfield; sister, Ruthie Rodarm; seven grandchildren; and 17 great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by sister, Donna Lee Amos.

LeeRoy J. Richter

La Grande

LeeRoy Joseph Richter, 83, of La Grande, died June 16 at his residence. At his request, there will not be a service.

LeeRoy was born Nov. 22, 1935, in Mount Angel, to Nicholas and Emily (Cline) Richter. He resided in California and Oregon and attended Santa Maria High School. LeeRoy served in the U.S. Army. He married Judith Ann Bowles.

LeeRoy worked as a restaurant cook. His hobbies included fishing, hunting and camping, and he enjoyed football.

Survivors include his wife Judith (Bowles) Richter of La Grande; son, James Garber of La Grande; daughters, Margaret Speecht of Arizona, Cheryl Beasucker of Oregon and Katherine Kunzler of Oregon; and sisters, Mary Ann Admumdson of Pendleton and Judy Warner of Pilot Rock.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Nicholas and Emily Richter; brothers, Alfred Richter, Paul Richter, Jack Richter and Larry Richter; and sister, Agnes Zimmerman.

Online condolences may be made to the family at www.lovelandfuneralchapel.com.

Bonnie F. Sparks


Bonnie Faye Sparks, 52, of Elgin, died June 12 at her residence. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. July 6 at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Elgin.

Bonnie was born April 3, 1967, in San Francisco, California, to Vernon LeRoy Sparks and Beverly (Camp) Limbaugh. After high school she attended college at the University of Tucson and Tucson Community College in Arizona. She then earned a master’s degree in pharmacology at the School of Pharmacy-CU Denver.

Bonnie was employed as a pharmacist at Walgreen’s in South Carolina for 20 years. In 2014, she moved to Oregon to be closer to her family. She was the pharmacy manager at the La Grande Bi-Mart until 2018, when she took a sabbatical to spend more time with her children. Bonnie was an excellent manager, good to the employees and well-liked by her co-workers.

Bonnie enjoyed baking, sewing, traveling and spending time with family. If there was a party, bake sale or any kind of special occasion, you’d be sure to find her delicious cupcakes or cakes there. Her greatest joy and proudest accomplishment was her two children. She was involved with their school activities and sports including Union County Little League, wrestling and community theater. Bonnie was an Ovation Member of the Friends of the Opera House, not only donating financially but giving her time to help with the young actors as well.

Surviving relatives include her children, Amber and Nathan; mother and stepfather, Gary and Beverly Limbaugh of Enterprise; brothers and sisters-in-law, Harold and Margie Sparks of Oakridge and William and Roni Sparks of Eugene; aunts and uncles, Colleen Harvey of California, Roland Sparks of Texas, Jerry Davis of Montana, Walt and Ramona Sparks of California, and Joanne Biddle of California; adopted family, Russell and Carol Buckley and children, Andrew and Anna, of Elgin; and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

She was preceded in death by her father, Vernon LeRoy Sparks, and uncle, Harold Jones.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome Foundation, 4527 S. 2300 East, Suite 104, Salt Lake City, Utah 84117.

Online condolences may be made to the family at www.lovelandfuneralchapel.com.

Michael E. Moeller

Island City

Michael E. Moeller, 64, of Island City, died June 22 at Lone Peak Hospital in Draper, Utah. An obituary is forthcoming. Loveland Funeral Chapel & Crematory will be handling the arrangements.

Amanda ‘Della’ Steele

North Powder

Amanda “Della” Steele, 75, of North Powder, died June 24. An obituary is forthcoming. Arrangements are under the direction of Tami’s Pine Valley Funeral Home and Cremation Services of Halfway.

Daniel O. Davis

La Grande

Daniel O. Davis, 70, of La Grande, died June 24 at Grande Ronde Hospital. An obituary is forthcoming. Loveland Funeral Chapel & Crematory will be handling the arrangements.

Barbara C. Burres

La Grande

Barbara C. Burres, 89, of La Grande, died June 24 at a local care facility. A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. July 21 at the Waitsburg Cemetery in Waitsburg, Washington. An obituary is forthcoming. Loveland Funeral Chapel & Crematory is handling the arrangements.

Joseph W. Larson


Joseph W. Larson, 79, of Union, died June 24 at a local care facility. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. July 12 at the Union Cemetery. Casual dress is preferred by the family. An obituary is forthcoming. Loveland Funeral Chapel & Crematory is handling the arrangements.

Edna Mae Bernhardt

La Grande

Edna Mae Bernhardt, 100, of La Grande, died June 18 at a local care facility. A viewing will be held from 10 a.m. to noon June 29 at Daniels-Knopp Funeral Cremation & Life Celebration Center, followed by a funeral service at 2 p.m. Private entombment will be at the Grandview Cemetery Mausoleum.