John H. Cisco


John Harmon Cisco, 78, of Summerville, died June 26 at his residence.

Nicknamed “Cisco,” he was born May 31, 1941, in Speedway, Indiana, to William and Helen (Harmon) Cisco. As a young boy, his family lived in Speedway and in Decatur, Georgia, before moving to Birmingham, Alabama.

John attended Edgewood Elementary in Homewood, Alabama, and graduated from Shades Valley High School in Jefferson City, Alabama. In high school, he played trombone in the dance, concert, and marching bands. During his entire senior year of high school he drove the school bus.

John completed his undergraduate studies at Jacksonville State College in Jacksonville, Alabama, before pursuing his dream of becoming a veterinarian at Auburn University. While at Auburn, he worked for the hospital as an ambulance driver. In July 1967, John received a doctor of veterinary medicine degree from the Auburn School of Veterinary Medicine. Following graduation, he worked in veterinary hospitals in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and Las Vegas, Nevada, before starting his own practice, Rancho Animal Hospital, in Las Vegas. While practicing in Las Vegas, John married Sandra Lynn Cisco and raised her son, Curtis, as his own.

John later started successful veterinary practices in Reno and Fernley, Nevada, with his second wife, Mary Aiwohi, also a veterinarian. John and Mary had three sons while creating a veterinary practice and home in Fernley. In 2004, John, Mary, and their family moved to Summerville and started the Grande Ronde Mobile Veterinary Clinic.

John practiced veterinary medicine for more than 40 years and was a lifetime member of the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Throughout his life, John loved the outdoors, fishing, hunting and hiking. He was a merciless pool player and played basketball and racquetball. John also enjoyed farming, gardening, baling hay, drinking a cold beer and being with his family. While in Las Vegas, he became a licensed pilot, and he loved to fly.

Surviving relatives include his wife, Mary; children, Daniel J. Cisco of Fernley, Nevada, Dean T. Cisco of Moscow, Idaho, Reilly C. Cisco of Moscow, Idaho, and Curtis A. Worrall of Reno, Nevada; brother and sister-in-law, David L. and Celeste Cisco of Hoover, Alabama; sisters, Marilyn M. Matthews of Birmingham, Alabama, and Sara J. Nagasi and spouse, Nobi, of Austin, Texas; and one grandchild.

He was preceded in death by his parents, William and Helen.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Auburn University School of Veterinary Medicine, 1010 Wire Road, Auburn, Alabama 36849.

Online condolences may be made to the family at

Margaret L. (Gowey) Botts


Margaret Louise Botts, 94, of Joseph, died June 26. A funeral will be at 11 a.m. July 13 at Bollman Funeral Home in Enterprise. The family invites friends to enjoy lunch at the Enterprise VFW Hall immediately following the service. Margaret requested that musicians bring their instruments to play together at the VFW.

Margaret was born Aug. 7, 1924, in McMinnville, to Ray and Opal (Shuman) Gowey. The family moved when she was 2 years old to begin farm life in the Troy area, where her little brother Bill joined the family. She graduated from Flora High School May 19, 1941.

Margaret married Melvin Botts on April 2, 1945. They farmed in Flora until moving to Wallowa Lake in 1962. Eventually the family moved to a lovely place near the Joseph Airport.

A hard-working woman, Margaret cooked at Wallowa Memorial Hospital and the Joseph School, where she made several lifetime friends. After retirement, Margaret joined the Peace Corps and served in Belize 1994-1996. Upon her return, she embarked on various cooking adventures in Yellowstone National Park, Bear Lake, Alaska, and Red’s Horse Ranch. Later in life she wintered in Quartzsite, Arizona, with her longtime companion, Vandon Martin.

Struck with the ancestral wanderlust, Margaret traveled to several states and in 2005 took a much anticipated trip to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. She was a long-standing member of the VFW Auxiliary and supported several charities.

Margaret enjoyed researching genealogy and documented her life in many written stories of her past. She will be remembered for her feisty personality, quirky sense of humor, famous Christmas letters and endless hospitality.

Surviving relatives include her children and their spouses, Melva Elaine and Willie Johnston of Asotin, Washington, Rodney and Linda Botts of Joseph, and Kyle Botts of Portland; daughter-in-law, Cassandra Botts of Enterprise; and seven grandchildren, 22 great-grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter.

She was preceded in death by her daughter, Shirley Mead in 1965; husband, Melvin Botts in 1975; great-granddaughter, Sonja Johnson in 2014; and son, Ronald “Bud” Botts in 2015.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to your favorite charity.

Willard ‘Bill’ H. Patterson

Formerly of La Grande

Willard “Bill” Hale Patterson, 97, died June 22 at Rogue Valley Manor in Medford. A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. July 19 in the chapel at Eagle Point National Cemetery in Eagle Point.

Known as Bill, he was born Jan. 8, 1922, in Cascade, Idaho, to Hale and Bertha Patterson. He helped at the family hardware store in his youth, which may have led to his future in business. In grade school, he met Patricia Armstrong. Their relationship blossomed as they grew up together and lasted as he pursued a business degree at the University of Idaho then joined the U.S. Army and trained at Fort Benning, Georgia, to reach the rank of second lieutenant, and she attended Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri.

Bill and Pat married in Cascade in 1945 and maintained a lifelong friendship and mutually supportive team as they raised their four boys. He passed away the evening after he and Pat spent their 74th anniversary together.

Bill began professional life at Morrison-Knudsen, a construction company in Boise, Idaho. He then entered the wood products industry in management at Hallack and Howard in Cascade. Later he worked for Boise Cascade in Emmett, Idaho, La Grande and Boise, and culminated his career as president of Boise-Southern in DeRidder, Louisiana, until he retired in 1980.

Bill and Pat moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, to provide support to her family and explore the Southwest culture. Winters were spent in Guadalajara, immersed in the Mexican culture. Summers were enjoyed at Wallowa Lake, where family often joined them. In each place they made friends. In 2003, they moved to Rogue Valley Manor to be closer to family.

Family was always important to Bill. Besides being a strong role model and positive influence on his sons, he was a supportive friend who welcomed daughters-in-law, grandchildren and great-grandchildren into the family circle. He loved spending time with family, whether it was going on picnics or fishing trips, visits or holidays. He cherished memories of wading rivers to help grandchildren learn to fly fish, and his grandchildren carry those happy memories with them.

The cohesive friendship of his family and the memories he helped create are treasured and will continue to be shared and enjoyed by those who loved him.

Surviving relatives include his wife, Pat; sons and their spouses, Bill Jr. and Marilyn of Medford, Steve and Jane of Wilsonville, Mark and Jennifer of Seattle, Washington, and Rob and Cathy of San Antonio, Texas; and nine grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.