Grande Ronde River
• The river fishes very well for smallmouth bass during the summer months. Fish in the deep pools near rocky shelves for the best success. Some trout can be found in during the summer months but warm water can make trout fishing difficult.
John Day River
• Smallmouth bass fishing is good with many fish being caught downstream from Kimberly.
River flows are currently dropping, make sure to check the flows before planning your trip.
• Chinook salmon fishing closed on the Imnaha on July 3. The focus now shifts to trout and smallmouth bass, which should be active and can provide the opportunity for some excellent catch rates well into the summer.
• Holdover trout are being caught with a few fish reaching 18 inches. The lake was also stocked with legal and trophy sized trout last week and fishing should be good. Powerbait and spinners will be the best. Bait should be either hung under a float or set on the bottom. Kokanee anglers have been reporting catching daily limits of 25 fish. Kokanee size appears to be improving with reports of fish in the 8-9 inch range and some fish as large as 12 inches.
Wallowa County Ponds
• ODFW is currently assessing the management of these ponds and wants to know what is important to the people who fish these ponds. Future plans may involve changes in the number of trout stocked, fish species available, or facility improvements. A survey is available at the ponds and on the ODFW website.
• The lake was stocked recently with legal and trophy size rainbow trout and should provide good angling.